Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dinner at Noryangjin Fish Market

I thought that the Noryangjin Fish Market would be a great way to experience Korean seafood.

We passed vendors selling fish, crabs, and unidentifiable creatures. We decided on one crab and one prawn each, which cost $25 total. Inexpensive....
..until the lady carried our wet bag of seafood to an upstairs restaurant. The hostess was not happy to see our seafood. She said that she earns the most money by preparing sashimi, not steamed crabs. She asked for $23 to sit at the table and eat the seafood. No side dishes were served, not even rice!
We waited while the kitchen steamed our purchases. The prawn tasted good, but the crab required too much work to eat. We enjoyed the experience but all agreed we would not return.
The view from above: a plate to freshly sliced raw fish (sashimi) to go. The fish monger killed and sliced the fish on the cutting board. No cleaning involved!

2 comments:

HappyMommy02 said...

I'm korean american and live in the U.S.(was adopted when I was 2yrs old by a korean/american family) I'm enjoying the visuals and blogs of the food. I will keep checking back for updates. Daily Activities in Seoul would be cool too. I love learning and seeing the pictures. It makes me feel more in touch w/my birthplace. Thanks!

MandyKat said...

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad that you enjoy the blog. I try to post twice during the week and once on the weekends.
If you are interested in any specific types of foods or activities, let me know. We love exploring!