Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Curries & More in Thailand

We ate out every night for dinner. Normally I ordered a green or Massaman kaeng with chicken. I liked to order the same thing each time to compare the flavors.Massaman curry is a good choice for beginners due to its mild taste. The name means "Muslim curry" due to its origins in the Muslim-populated south. Ingredients include cinnamon, tamarind, cardamom, chilli, cloves, turmeric, chicken, and potatoes.

A variation of Massaman curry, the Massaman curry pizza:
Curries aren't exactly a health food. An important ingredient in curries is coconut milk, which contains unhealthy saturated fat. Curries are also high in calories thanks to the coconut milk (and other oils). When I eat a curry dish, I eat the solids and a small amount of liquid. I'm sure I ate a year's worth of saturated fat during our trip. (I had curry for every meal!)
A beautifully displayed pad Thai (wrapped in egg):
The four condiments used to season pad Thai:
Sweet - sugar
Sour - vinegar
Hot - red chili powder sauce
Salty - sliced chili sauce
Pad Thai is made to be seasoned. I always thought the dish was flavorful "as is" until I added condiments. What a flavor explosion!
Morning snack on our guided tour of Khao Lak National Park:
Banana-based products taste better in Thailand. I couldn't resist this dense, mildly-sweetened banana-coconut muffin:

As you can tell from these photos, we ate most of our meals in our room. More on that subject later!

3 comments:

Trvlgyrl said...

We need to go to Budda's Belly for some Thai food - I am craving some curry!

MandyKat said...

We should go after you return from your trip!

MandyKat said...

Actually, I did read portions of Dr. Enig's article on coconut oil along with information from medical websites about coconut oil. Since I found contradictory information (coconut oil - healthy; coconut oil - not healthy) I decided not to directly address the subject at this time.